When looking for a software development company to create a new application or improve your existing system, it’s important to ask the right questions. It would be best if you ensured that the development company could meet your requirements and deliver a high-quality product. Here are some questions you should ask before making your final decision.
When choosing a software development company, asking the right questions is important. You need to make sure that the team has the experience and expertise to develop the exact product you need. Here are some questions you should ask before signing on the dotted line.
71 Questions to ask a software development company before getting one:
Background of the Company
- What are your company’s core values?
- What is your company’s history?
- How many employees do you have?
- What platforms do you develop for?
- What kind of projects do you typically work on?
- What are your team’s size and composition?
- How long has the business been in operation?
- What are your areas of expertise?
- What kind of project management methodology does your company use?
- Does your company have any experience with developing mobile apps?
- Can you share a few examples of apps you’ve developed?
- Does your company have any experience with developing web applications?
- Can you share a few examples of web apps you’ve developed?
- Does your company have any experience with developing enterprise applications?
- Can you share a few examples of enterprise apps you’ve developed
- Do you have experience with my industry?
- How do you handle communication and collaboration with clients?
- What are some similar projects you’ve worked on in the past?
Background of the Software Development Team
- How does your company ensure its software developers have the skills and knowledge necessary to produce high-quality software?
- What training and development opportunities does your company offer its software developers?
- How much experience do your developers have?
- Do you outsource any of your work?
- What experience do your developers have?
- What databases do your developers use?
- What tools and technologies do your developers use?
- What methodologies do your developers follow?
- What programming languages do your developers specialize in?
- Does your team use automated tools or processes to help manage software development?
Services and Inclusions
- What is your company’s software development process?
- How do your core values guide your software development process?
- How do you handle changes or scope creep?
- Do you offer support and maintenance after launch?
- What kind of support do you provide after a project is completed?
- How do you handle changes or revisions to scope during development?
- Do you have any existing code or assets we can utilize?
- How do you communicate with clients during a project?
- What platforms and technologies do you work with?
- How do you handle project risks?
- Do you offer post-launch support and maintenance services?
- What kind of documentation do you provide?
- How do you handle changes or revisions to the scope of a project?
- What is your quality assurance process?
- Does your company use agile or lean methods in its software development process?
- Which agile or lean methods does your company uses in its software development process?
- How does your company measure success during the software development process?
- What metric does your company use to measure success during the software development process?
- What are your quality assurance and testing practices?
- What is your approach to testing?
- How do you approach software development projects?
Costs and Fees
- How much do your services cost?
- Do you offer discounts for long-term projects?
- What are your payment terms?
- What are your rates and pricing models?
- How much do you charge for your services?
- Do you have any discounts or promotions I can take advantage of?
- Are there any hidden fees or costs associated with your services?
Contract and Policies
- What are your company’s policies regarding working with open-source software?
- Are you able to sign a nondisclosure agreement (NDA)?
- What is your bug-fixing policy?
- What are your policies for code reviews and code standards?
- What are your terms and conditions?
- Do you have any sample contracts I can review?
- Do you have any case studies or testimonials I can read?
- Can I speak to some of your previous clients?
- Can I see some examples of your work?
- How do you handle communication between team members?
- How do you communicate progress and updates to clients?
- Who will be our main point of contact during the project?
- How often will we receive updates?
- What is the average project timeline?
- Do you have any additional questions for me about my project?
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the qualities of a good software developer?
One of the most valuable qualities of software developers is their ability to troubleshoot and diagnose problems quickly. This requires the development of critical thinking skills and the ability to look at issues from different angles to find out where the fault lies.
Equally important is a strong understanding of the principles of computer science. Good software developers should have a thorough knowledge of programming languages and frameworks; ideally, experience developing for multiple platforms would be beneficial.
Staying up-to-date with emerging technologies so they are aware of new approaches or opportunities that could benefit their projects. Attending online courses or conferences can help them keep up with industry trends and interact with colleagues who can provide valuable insight into various development topics.
What are the skills of a software developer?
Software developers are highly skilled professionals who can create, maintain, and improve software applications. They possess various technical skills, including a good knowledge of programming languages and operating systems. Software developers must be able to troubleshoot and solve problems, as they often work to fix software problems or bugs during the development process.
In addition, software developers must also have solid communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills. Because projects are often complex and involve multiple stakeholders, successful software developers must have the ability to clearly communicate their ideas and collaborate with colleagues to ensure project success.
Finally, creative thinking abilities are essential to software development. Developers are expected to come up with innovative solutions to difficult problems that may take time to be apparent. This helps them develop creative yet effective applications that meet the needs of users.
How much time does a software development team need to develop software?
The time it takes a software development team to build software depends on a number of factors, including the size and scope of the project, the complexity of the systems involved, the skills of the team members, and the number of resources available. In general, it can take anywhere from several weeks to several months for a development team to create a fully functioning software product.
Asking the questions listed above will help you narrow down your options and find the best possible software development partner for your business needs. Remember, it’s important to work with a team with relevant experience, a solid track record of success, and clear pricing, so there are no surprises later on. With this in mind, you can confidently decide and move on to your next project.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?