You’ve done your research and you think you’re ready to hire an accounting firm. But before you sign on the dotted line, there are a few questions you should ask to make sure it’s the right choice for your business.
After all, your accounting firm will play a big role in the financial health of your business, so you must choose a firm you can trust. Do your research ahead of time by asking these questions.
53 Questions you should ask an accounting firm:
- What services do you offer?
- What experience do you have in our industry?
- Do you have any specialties?
- What’s the size of your firm?
- What’s your client retention rate?
- Do you have any client testimonials or case studies I can read?
- Are your CPAs licensed in our state?
- What are your CPA’s tax research capabilities?
- What accounting software do you use and are you familiar with our current system?
- What are your billing rates and how do you structure your fees?
- Do you offer discounts for businesses like ours?
- Can you provide a list of references?
- How often will we communicate and what methods do you prefer?
- What’s the best way to reach someone after hours or on weekends and holidays if we have an emergency?
- Do you have liability insurance?
- How do you handle conflicts of interest?
- What happens if we separate? Will I get my records and data back from you?
- Do you have any experience working with businesses in our stage of growth? (e.g., startups, small businesses, etc.)
- Do I need to come to the office or can we meet virtually?
- When can we get started?
- What is your firm’s history?
- How long have your partners been with the firm?
- Do you have any partners who are retiring?
- What’s the average experience level of your staff?
- How often do your staff and partners rotate?
- What industry expertise does your firm have?
- What percentage of your clients are in my industry?
- Have any clients left the firm in the last year? If so, why?
- Do you have blind spots in my industry that I should be aware of?
- Do you have any thoughts about my industry that I haven’t considered?
- Who will be my primary point of contact at the firm?
- How do you prefer to communicate (email, phone, video conference, etc.)?
- What is your project management process like?
- What kind of reports will I receive and how often?
- What benchmarks can I compare my results to in my industry?
- Can you give examples of similar companies you’ve worked with in the past and the results you were able to achieve for them?
- What ideas do you have for saving me money and increasing profitability?
- Do you offer monthly or annual packages?
- What software platforms do you support? QuickBooks, Xero, Sage
- What’s included in your monthly or annual package?
- What is your policy on confidentiality and client privilege?
- What are your office hours?
- Can you help me save money on taxes?
- Can you help me price my products or services?
- Can you help me raise funds?
- Do you offer bookkeeping services?
- Do you offer payroll services?
- Do you offer financial planning or forecasting services?
- Do you have any forensic accountants on staff?
- Do you outsource some of your work?
- Do you offer discounts to new clients?
- Do you have any brochures or other materials that I can take with me?
- What’s your turnaround time?
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you find the best accounting firm?
Finding the best accounting firm can be a challenging task, especially if you don’t know what to look for. To find a reputable and trustworthy firm, it’s important to do your research and take note of things like experience, track record, customer service, and fees.
You should also check for reviews from other clients and make sure the firm is up to date on the latest accounting practices and regulations. Ultimately, finding the best accounting firm will require some time and effort on your part, but with the right considerations, you should be able to find a great provider that can help you with all of your financial needs.
What makes a great accounting firm?
A great accounting firm is dedicated to providing high-quality services to its clients. This means that the firm must have skilled accountants who are knowledgeable about the latest accounting practices and trends.
In addition, a great accounting firm must provide excellent customer service so that clients always feel well taken care of and looked after. Furthermore, a great accounting firm must be reliable and trustworthy, provide accurate financial information on time, and adhere to the highest ethical standards.
All in all, these qualities make a great accounting firm one that delivers top-notch services and is an invaluable resource for businesses and individuals alike.
Asking the right questions upfront will help ensure that you find an accounting firm that’s a good fit for your business and that will provide you with the services and support you need to stay financially healthy in the long run. Ask about experience, fees, capabilities, and communication style to get off to a great start with your new accounting partner!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?