A fresh coat of paint can do wonders for your home’s curb appeal. But before you sign the contract, there are a few important questions you need to ask an exterior house painter.
To help you out, we’ve put together a list of questions you should ask before you hire an exterior painter or painting contractor. By asking these questions, you can get a better idea of what to expect from the painting process and ensure that the finished product meets your expectations.
55 Questions you can ask an exterior house painter:
- What is the scope of the project?
- What are your qualifications?
- Do you have liability insurance?
- What is the estimated time frame for the project?
- What type of paint do you recommend?
- How many coats of paint do you recommend?
- What is the estimated cost of the project?
- Are there any discounts or promotions that you offer?
- Do you offer a warranty or guarantee on your work?
- Can you provide references from past clients?
- How long have you been painting homes?
- What type of paint do you use?
- What type of preparation do you do before painting?
- What is your normal turnaround time?
- What is included in your quote?
- What are your payment terms?
- Have you ever painted a home like mine before?
- How long will it take to complete the job?
- How much do you charge per square foot?
- Are you licensed and accredited?
- What prep work is included in your quote?
- When can you start?
- What color scheme do you think would work best for my home?
- When will be the best time to paint my home?
- What is included in your estimate?
- What is the expected lifespan of the paint job?
- Do you have workers’ compensation insurance?
- What kind of brushes or rollers do you use?
- Do you clean up after each day’s work?
- How do you protect my landscaping during the project?
- What happens if it rains during the project?
- Will you repair any cracks or holes in my siding before painting?
- How will you handle paint drips and spills?
- What color(s) will you be using?
- Can I see some examples of your previous work?
- Are you bonded?
- What is your warranty policy?
- Can you provide a list of materials that will be needed for the project?
- How will you prepare the surface before painting?
- What type of primer will you use?
- How many coats of paint will be applied?
- When do you expect to begin work on the project?
- Will you be working alone or with a crew?
- Can you provide a written estimate?
- Do you accept credit cards?
- What is your cancellation policy?
- How often should I repaint my home?
- What are the best paint brands for exterior use?
- What is the best type of paint for my home’s exterior?
- What are the most common problems with exterior paint jobs?
- How can I prevent peeling and chipping paint?
- What are the best methods for cleaning my home’s exterior before painting?
- How much does an exterior paint job typically cost?
- What are the most important factors to consider when choosing an exterior house painter?
- What are some common mistakes homeowners make when painting their own homes?
Frequently Asked Questions
What does an exterior painter do?
An exterior painter prepares surfaces for painting including scraping, sanding, and priming. They then apply the paint to the surfaces with brushes, rollers, or sprayers.
How often should the house exterior be painted?
The recommended frequency for painting the exterior of a house varies depending on the climate and the quality of the paint but is usually every three to five years.
Can you paint over old exterior paint?
Yes, you can paint over old exterior paint as long as the surface is clean, dry, and free of loose paint.
What makes a good exterior paint?
A good exterior paint is one that can withstand the weather conditions in the area where it will be used. It should also be durable and long-lasting.
These are just a few examples of important questions you should ask an exterior house painter before you decide. With these questions, you can better assess whether the painter is the right person for the job and if they can provide the services you need at a price you’re comfortable with. Doing a little research now can save you time, money, and frustration later.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?