The general manager is the person who oversees all operations and personnel of a company. For this reason, the interview for this position is very important. Asking the right questions during the interview will help you get an idea of what kind of leader they are and how well they can handle certain situations. Here are some questions you should ask when interviewing a potential general manager.
45 Questions you can ask a general manager during an interview:
- What experience do you have managing a team?
- What style of management do you prefer?
- What do you feel is the most important trait of a good manager?
- When was the last time you had to deal with a difficult situation?
- How did you handle it?
- What do you think is the best way to motivate a team?
- Have you ever had to fire someone? If so, why?
- What is the most important thing a manager can do for their team?
- How do you handle conflict within a team?
- What strategies do you use to manage conflict within the team?
- What are your thoughts on delegation?
- What do you consider to be your greatest strength as a leader?
- What style of management do you think is most effective?
- Have you ever had to fire someone?
- If so, why?
- Do you have any experience with budgeting or financial planning?
- What do you think are the biggest challenges facing a manager today?
- How do you handle stress?
- Do you have any experience with employee training or development programs?
- Do you have any suggestions on how to improve morale in the workplace?
- Do you have any other advice for new or aspiring managers?
- What do you think is the key to maintaining a high-performing team?
- What are your thoughts on giving feedback?
- How do you like to receive feedback?
- Do you prefer to work more collaboratively or independently?
- When was the last time you had to deal with a difficult customer issue?
- How did you handle it?
- Do you have any experience with conflict resolution?
- What do you see as the biggest challenge facing the department/team?
- What are your goals for the department/team?
- How do you plan on achieving those goals?
- What budget do you have to work with?
- How do you prioritize projects and tasks?
- Who makes the final decision on projects/tasks?
- When was the last time you had to deal with a difficult employee?
- What do you think is the most important trait of a good team member?
- What methods do you use to evaluate employee performance?
- What do you think is the most important role of a manager?
- Have you ever been disciplined by your employer? If so, why?
- Have you ever had to make a difficult decision affecting the team?
- Can you give me an example of a time when you went above and beyond for a customer/client?
- Can you give me an example of a time when you had to make a quick decision?
- Can you give me an example of a time when your department was understaffed?
- Can you give me an example of a time when your department was overstaffed?
- Can you give me an example of a time when the team was not meeting its goals?
Frequently Asked Questions
What does a general manager do?
A general manager oversees the work of managers and employees in a company or organization. They create and implement strategies, policies, and procedures. They make sure that all areas of the company are running smoothly and efficiently. They also develop goals and objectives for their team and work to achieve those goals.
Is the general manager and CEO the same?
No, the general manager and the CEO are not always the same. In some companies, the general manager is in charge of all the day-to-day operations, while the CEO is more of a strategic thinker who sets long-term goals and oversees the company as a whole.
Is a general manager higher than a manager?
A general manager is typically higher in an organizational hierarchy than a regular manager. They may have more direct reports, and their work may be more strategic in nature. Their role is to oversee the entire operation of the company, while a manager may have a more specific focus or department within the company.
What skills do general managers need?
General managers need a variety of skills to be successful. They must be able to motivate and lead their team, as well as make tough decisions when necessary. They also need to be able to understand finances and make sound business decisions. Finally, general managers need to have strong communication skills so they can effectively manage relationships with employees, customers, and other stakeholders.
These questions can help you better understand your potential general manager as a leader, which is important for any entrepreneur looking for the right person for the role.
Asking these types of questions during an interview will give you better insight into whether this person has what it takes to successfully lead your business – and ensure its success in the long run!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?