Moving is a daunting task – even more so when it’s a long-distance move. There are so many things to think about and organize, not to mention the physical labor involved in packing everything up and loading it into a truck. The logistics of a long-distance move are enough to make your head spin!
The most important thing when planning a long-distance move is choosing a reputable and reliable moving company. But with so many options out there, how can you be sure you’re making the best decision? In this blog post, we’ll give you some important questions to ask any moving company before you make your final decision.
52 Questions you should ask when looking for a long-distance moving company:
- What’s the company’s name and contact information?
- What services do you offer?
- What is your estimated time of arrival?
- What’s the minimum amount of time required for booking your services?
- How many moves have you done before?
- Do you have any special training or accreditation?
- Do you have any negative reviews or complaints?
- How long have you been in business?
- Can I see some references?
- Have you ever done a long-distance move like mine?
- Are you guys currently running any specials or discounts?
- Do you specialize in certain types of moves (i.e. corporate, military, student)?
- When will my belongings be delivered?
- How will my belongings be transported?
- Who will be handling my belongings during the move?
- What happens if something is damaged during the move?
- What is your policy on damaged or lost items?
- How do you handle disputes or problems that may arise during the move?
- What happens if I have to postpone my move?
- Are there any items that you won’t move?
- Do you offer storage options?
- What kind of packing materials do you use?
- How far in advance should I schedule my move?
- Do you provide a written estimate?
- What’s included in your estimate?
- What type of vehicles do you use for moving?
- How many people will be working on my move?
- Do you pack things for your customers?
- Can you disassemble the furniture if needed?
- Will you reassemble the furniture at the destination?
- How will you handle fragile items?
- What should I do with food that I can’t take with me when I move?
- How can I prepare my home for the move?
- How do you calculate your prices?
- Do you charge by the hour or by the day?
- What are your prices?
- How will you be charging for the move?
- What’s included in your price?
- Are there any hidden fees?
- Do you guys offer insurance?
- What kind of insurance do you have?
- What is your licensing and registration status?
- What are your cancelation policies?
- What forms of payment do you accept?
- When is payment due?
- What’s your customer satisfaction policy?
- What measures do you take to ensure the safety of my belongings during transit?
- Are you a member of any professional organizations such as the American Moving & Storage Association or the Better Business Bureau?
- Do you have any reviews or testimonials that I can read?
- What’s the best way to reach you guys if I have questions or want to make changes to my reservation?
- Do you guys have any tips on how to make my long-distance move go more smoothly?
- Is there anything else I should know about your company or the moving process in general?
20 Questions to ask yourself before you hire a long-distance moving company:
- What’s your budget for the move?
- How far away is your new home?
- How much stuff do you need to move?
- Are you moving to a furnished home or an empty one?
- Do you need to move large items, like pianos or furniture?
- Do you have valuable or sentimental items that need to be transported with extra care?
- Are you moving with pets?
- Are you moving with children?
- Do you have any special needs or requirements for your move?
- What’s the best time of year for you to move?
- What’s the earliest date you can move into your new home?
- What’s the latest date you can move out of your old home?
- What’s your preferred method of communication with the movers (phone, email, text)?
- What are your rights and responsibilities when you hire a moving company for a long-distance move?
- What should you do if something goes wrong during the move?
- How can you make sure your belongings are protected during the move?
- What are some tips when packing for a long-distance move?
- What should you consider when choosing a moving company for a long-distance move?
- How can you prepare your home for the arrival of the movers?
- How can you make sure the movers are legitimate and reputable
Frequently Asked Questions
What to do a week before you move?
Before you move, there are a few things you should do to make sure the transition is as smooth and stress-free as possible. These include hiring a professional moving company, packing your belongings ahead of time, and notifying your utility providers about the move. It’s also important to start planning early and identify any potential challenges that may arise during the move. By taking these steps, you can ensure that your move goes as smoothly as possible.
What items cannot be moved by movers?
Several items may not be transported by movers, such as fragile or valuable items, large pieces of furniture, and heavy items. These items may need to be packed and transported separately from the rest of your belongings to avoid damage or injury.
In addition, your mover may not be allowed to take some items for safety or legal reasons, such as firearms or toxic substances. To ensure that your move goes smoothly, it’s important to carefully plan which items will be transported by professional movers and which you’ll have to transport yourself.
What do movers consider long-distance?
When it comes to long-distance moves, moving companies usually consider moves that are more than 400 miles away as long-distance moves. This is because, at this point, logistics and costs increase significantly, making the move more complicated and expensive.
Several factors can affect the overall cost of a long-distance move, such as the size and weight of your belongings, the distance of your move, whether you need special services like packing or storage, and more.
Therefore, it’s important to consider these factors when planning a long-distance move to ensure you can effectively manage your costs and minimize any potential complications along the way.
Moving to a new city can be both exciting and stressful. There are so many things to think about and plan for! But with the help of a reliable moving company, your transition can be seamless and hassle-free. Ask the following questions when talking to potential movers. That way, you’ll know exactly what to expect and can rest assured that your belongings are in good hands.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?