A mattress is a big purchase – probably the biggest one you’ll make for your bedroom. And since you’ll spend about a third of your life on it, you’ll want to make sure you choose the right one. However, with so many options on the market, it can be difficult to find the right one to start with.
To help you out, we’ve put together a list of important questions to ask yourself and the store before you buy a mattress. If you take the time to answer these questions, you can be sure to find a mattress that’s perfect for you. So let’s get started!
18 Questions you should ask yourself before you buy a mattress:
- What price range am I looking at?
- How often should I replace my mattress?
- How do I care for my new mattress?
- What should I do with my old mattress?
- Do I have any allergies or sensitivities?
- Is it hypoallergenic?
- Do I have any special needs or preferences?
- Is the mattress easy to clean?
- What type of mattress do I want? (Memory foam, latex, innerspring, hybrid)
- What else do I need to create the perfect sleeping environment? (Pillow, sheets, comforter)
- How much space do I have in my bedroom?
- Do I need additional support for my back or other health issues?
- Are there certain materials I want or don’t want in my mattress?
- Do I want a traditional innerspring mattress or something else?
- Do I prefer a pillow top or no pillow top?
- Do I want the mattress to be adjustable?
- Should I buy from a brick-and-mortar store or an online retailer?
- Is the company reputable?
40 Questions to ask the store before buying a mattress:
- What are the different types of mattresses?
- What are the dimensions of the mattress?
- What’s the firmness level of the mattress?
- Is the mattress comfortable?
- How long will the mattress last?
- Can I get a trial period?
- Who’s the manufacturer?
- What’s the delivery process?
- How long does it take for the mattress to arrive?
- Is there a break-in period for the mattress?
- Is there a warranty or guarantee?
- How long is the warranty valid?
- Can I return or exchange the mattress if I don’t like it?
- What’s the store’s exchange policy?
- What’s the return policy?
- How long has this model been available?
- How often do I need to flip or rotate it?
- How much does it weigh?
- What type of fabric is used on the exterior?
- What kind of filling material is inside the mattress?
- Are there coil springs inside? If so, how many and what gauge are they?
- What’s the thickness of the mattress?
- What type of foundation or box spring bed do I need for this mattress?
- Can the foundation be purchased at the same store as the mattress?
- What’s included in the price?
- Is the price of the mattress negotiable?
- How long will the mattress last?
- How often should the mattress be replaced?
- Will the mattress stay cool during use?
- Does the mattress come with a cover?
- What type of frame is needed for the mattress?
- Can the frame be purchased at the same store as the mattress?
- Are there any special offers or discounts currently available?
- Does the store offer an installation service?
- Does the store offer financing or layaway plans?
- What forms of payment does the store accept?
- What are the store’s hours of operation?
- Where’s the store located?
- Is there a staff member available to answer questions?
- Are there any other costs associated with buying a new mattress?
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the signs that you need a new mattress?
One of the first signs that you may need a new mattress is if your current mattress is worn out or damaged. This can manifest itself in a variety of ways, including sagging or uneven support, uncomfortable pressure points, or visible cracks or holes.
Other common signs that you may need a new mattress include stiffness or pain when you wake up in the morning, trouble falling asleep at night, and overall restless sleep. If any of these problems occur regularly, it may be time to invest in a new mattress that will better support your body and give you the rest you need.
How often should you replace your mattress?
There’s no definitive answer to the question of how often you should replace your mattress, as it depends on several different factors.
In general, most mattresses need to be replaced after about 6-8 years, as they wear out and lose their support over time. However, if you experience discomfort or pain while sleeping on your mattress, this may be a sign that it needs to be replaced sooner. Also, if your mattress has stains or cracks, it’s probably a good idea to replace it to prevent the growth of mold or dust mites.
The best way to determine when it’s time to replace your mattress is to pay attention to how you feel when you sleep on it and consult your doctor if you have concerns.
Choosing a new mattress can be a daunting task, but it doesn’t have to be! If you do your research and ask the right questions, you can be sure to choose the perfect mattress for your needs. We hope this list of questions has helped set you on the path to finding your dream mattress!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?