Have you ever published a book? If not, have you ever thought about it? If so, you may be wondering what the next steps are. To get your book published, you need to find a publisher.
But how do you know which publisher is right for you when there are so many options? Here are a few questions you can ask a potential publisher to help you decide.
68 Questions you can ask a publisher:
- What type of books do you publish?
- What is your submission process?
- What are your guidelines for submissions?
- What is the process for submitting a book proposal?
- How often do you acquire new titles?
- How many books do you publish each year?
- What are your areas of interest?
- What type of books are you looking for?
- Do you have any upcoming titles that I might be interested in?
- Do you offer advances to authors?
- Do you charge any fees to authors?
- What type of marketing and publicity do you offer authors?
- Do you offer editorial feedback to authors?
- Do you have an editorial board or review committee that looks at submissions?
- Who will be reading my submission?
- How long will it take for you to get back to me about my submission?
- If my book is accepted, when can I expect it to be published?
- What are your terms and conditions for publication?
- Have you published any books like mine before?
- Who are some of your other authors?
- Can you tell me a little bit about your company’s history
- How long does it typically take for a decision to be made on a book proposal?
- What are the next steps if my book proposal is accepted?
- How much input will I have in the editing and publishing process?
- Will I be able to review the proofs of my book before it goes to print?
- How will my book be marketed and promoted?
- What are the royalties and other financial terms of the publishing contract?
- How long will it take for my book to be published once it is accepted?
- Are there any restrictions on what I can say or do during the promotion of my book?
- What are the rights that you acquire when you publish a book?
- How much does it cost to publish a book with you?
- How long does the publishing process take?
- Do you offer advances to authors?
- Do you provide editorial services?
- Do you design and print the covers for your books?
- Do you handle distribution and warehousing?
- Will my book be available in bookstores?
- Will my book be available online?
- Have any of your authors won awards or received other recognition?
- Can you provide me with a list of some of your recent titles?
- Can I speak with some of your authors to get their opinion on working with your company?
- Have you ever been sued by an author or had any other legal problems arise from one of your publications?
- What are the most important things that I should know about working with you?
- Do you have any imprints or divisions within your company?
- Are you currently accepting submissions?
- If so, what are you looking for?
- How many submissions do you receive per year?
- How many books do you publish per year?
- What is your acquisition process like?
- Do you work with agented authors?
- What is your publication schedule like?
- Are there any restrictions on the type of content you will consider for publication?
- Have you ever declined to publish a book because of its content?
- Will the author be able to approve cover art and marketing materials before they are finalized?
- How many copies will they print?
- What rights will I retain?
- What are the terms of the contract?
- Do you accept unsolicited submissions?
- What are your thoughts on self-publishing?
- How do you decide which books to publish?
- What role does marketability play in your decision to publish a book?
- What are some of the most successful books you’ve published?
- Can you tell me a little bit about your editorial team?
- Do you work with outside editors or reviewers before acquiring a book?
- What is the average advance you pay for a book?
- What are the standard royalty rates for hardcover, paperback, and e-book sales?
- Do you have a foreign rights department?
- re there certain times of the year when you are more likely to be open to submissions?
Frequently Asked Questions
What does a book publisher do?
Book publishers are responsible for getting books from authors to the public. They work with authors to come up with a book proposal, help edit and market the book, and then handle printing and distribution. They may also help get the book into bookstores and other retail outlets.
What should I look for in a publisher?
When looking for a publisher, it is important that you find one that is a good fit for your work. Some things you may want to consider are the publisher’s size, distribution network, and marketing capabilities.
You should also look for a publisher that specializes in the genre of your book, and make sure the publisher has a good reputation and is reputable.
When deciding whether or not to publish with a particular publisher, there are many factors to consider. Weighing the pros and cons can be a difficult task, but hopefully, this list of questions gives you a good starting point. Ultimately, the decision is up to you!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?