Choosing the right college to attend can be a daunting task. With so many options, it’s hard to know where to start. A good way to narrow down the list of schools you’re considering is to talk to alumni of the school in question. Alumni can give you a unique perspective on what it’s like to attend a particular college.
32 Questions to help you get the most out of your conversations with alumni:
- What year did you graduate?
- What was your major?
- Why did you choose this school?
- What were your expectations going in, and how did they compare to your experience once you got here?
- What is your favorite memory of your time here?
- Who was your favorite professor, and why?
- Tell me about a time when you faced a challenge while attending this school. How did you overcome it?
- Do you feel that you received a good education here? Why or why not?
- What hobbies or activities did you get involved in during your time here?
- Are there any on-campus offerings that you would have liked to take advantage of but did not?
- What type of career do you aspire to, and how has this school helped (or not helped) to prepare you for it?
- Do you have any tips on how to make the most of student life here, such as how to balance social activities with academic pursuits or how to find affordable off-campus housing?
- Tell me about the city where this school is located. Do you like it? Are there things to do there on weekends or during breaks?
- Was it easy (or difficult) to find internships or other opportunities to gain experience in your field while attending this school?
- Knowing what you know now, would you still choose this school if you had the chance to do it all over again? Why or why not?
- How easy (or difficult) was it to find housing near campus? Was it affordable?
- Can you tell me about the admissions process here? Was it competitive? How did you prepare for it?
- Do people seem friendly here, or is everyone just focused on their own thing?
- Is there anything unique about the student body here that sets it apart from other schools?
- What are the pros and cons of attending this school that I may not have thought of?
- How has the college prepared you for your career?
- What are the biggest challenges you faced in college?
- What advice would you give to current students?
- How has your college experience made you who you are today?
- Would you recommend your alma mater to others?
- What was your favorite part of your time at the school?
- What did you like best about the city where the school was located?
- How did you find your professors? Were they accessible outside of class?
- Did you participate in extracurricular activities while in school?
- Have you stayed involved with your alma mater since graduation? If so, how?
- What are some of the biggest changes that you’ve seen on campus since you graduated?
- Are you still in touch with any of your classmates?
Frequently Asked Questions
How do alumni help students?
Many colleges have alumni associations that help current students. These associations can offer a wealth of resources, including networking opportunities, advising, and scholarships. Alumni often give back to their alma maters by mentoring current students, providing career tips, and supporting campus initiatives.
In some cases, alumni even offer job placement assistance. By connecting with alumni, students can build relationships that can last a lifetime and gain access to valuable resources that can help them succeed in their academic and professional lives.
Does the school support building connections between current students and alumni?
The school supports building connections between students and alumni. There are many opportunities for both groups to connect with each other. For example, the school organizes events where alumni return to campus to speak with current students.
At these events, current students can learn what life is like after graduation and how alumni have used their degrees. The school also has a website where current students and alumni can connect. On this website, alumni can offer career advice and networking opportunities to current students.
How do you strengthen relationships with alumni?
One way to strengthen relationships with alumni is to provide opportunities for them to stay connected with each other and the school. This can be done through social media, email newsletters, reunions, and more. Schools can also offer scholarships and other benefits to alumni members. By staying in touch with alumni, schools can build a community of supporters who are more willing to donate money, time, and resources to their alma mater.
Asking alumni for advice can be a great way to get an insider’s perspective on what attending a particular college is really like. These questions are a great starting point for a conversation, but be sure to ask for specific details based on what the interviewee says – after all, every experience is different! And above all else, remember that attending college is ultimately what you make of it.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?