Have you ever wondered what your favorite author is like in person? Maybe you’ve seen an interview on TV or read an article about her/him in a magazine, but you can’t beat hearing someone speak in their own words.
That’s why we love meeting authors in person! In doing so, you’ll learn all about how they work, their inspirations, and their thoughts on the publishing industry.
If you’re planning to attend an author event or go to a book signing, here are questions you should ask an author. With these questions, you can get a behind-the-scenes look at their life and work!
50 Questions you can ask an author at an event:
- What was your inspiration for this book?
- What’s your favorite character in the book?
- Did you have any challenges writing this book? And if so, how did you overcome them?
- What’s the best part about being an author?
- What made you want to tell this particular story?
- What was the most challenging part of writing this book?
- What did you learn while writing this book?
- How long did it take you to write this book?
- What are your favorite scenes in the book?
- What was your favorite part of writing this book?
- Was there anything you had to research for the book?
- What do you hope readers will take away from the book?
- Did you have any say in the cover design?
- Was it difficult to find a publisher for your book?
- Do you have any advice for aspiring authors out there?
- What does your writing process look like?
- Who are some of your favorite authors?
- What are you reading right now?
- What can we expect from you in the future?
- Do you have any movie or tv adaptations in the works?
- Did you always want to be an author? If not, what did you want to be when you grew up?
- How long did it take you to write this book?
- Where do you like to write? In a coffee shop? In your home office? On the beach?
- Do you listen to music while you write? If so, what kind of music do you like to listen to?
- What other hobbies do you have outside of writing?
- Are any of the characters in your book based on people in your real life? If so, can you tell us more about that process and how it influenced your writing?
- Do you have any personal connection to the story or characters?
- How does it feel knowing that people all over the world are reading your words and connecting with your story?
- Do publishers ever give you grief over anything in particular that they want to be changed or added to the book before they will publish it (i.e., happy endings for romance novels)? If so, how do you handle that type of feedback from them?
- Are any elements of the book autobiographical (i.e., settings, experiences)? If so, can share more about those connections with us?
- Do people come up to you and tell you that they loved (or hated) your book and why/why not?
- Can readers expect any more books in this series/universe?
- Do you have plans for another series/universe entirely?
- Is this a stand-alone book?
- Do crossovers with other authors ever happen/have happened?
- Is anyone currently adapting your work into another medium (tv show, movie, etc.)?
- When can fans expect the next book from you?
- Which convention are fans most likely to find you to catch up with later this year?
- What would fans be most surprised to learn about you?
- What are your favorite books and why?
- Do you plan each step of the writing process before you start, or do you let the story “take control” and follow its own path?
- Are you currently working on anything outside of your normal genre that fans might be interested in hearing more about?
- What projects are coming out from other authors that readers might enjoy while waiting?
- Are you working on any new projects right now that we can look forward to?
- What are your thoughts on editing and revisions?
- What are your thoughts on censorship?
- What are your thoughts on the current state of the publishing industry?
- What are your thoughts on the importance of literacy?
- What made you choose the particular time period or setting for your story?
- Are there any themes in the book that you particularly enjoy exploring?
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you talk to an author?
When you talk to an author, it’s important to be respectful. You should introduce yourself and ask permission to speak. Then you can ask the author about his/her work, how it works, and any other questions you’ve. It’s important that you’re polite, patient, and respectful of the author’s time.
How do authors connect with readers?
Authors use various techniques to connect with their readers. Some authors write in a very personal style, telling their own stories and experiences to connect with their readers.
Others use humor or irony to engage readers, while others use more literary devices to create a sense of familiarity with their audience.
Regardless of technique, authors work hard to connect with their readers and ensure that they can tell their stories in the most effective way.
Meeting your favorite author in person can be a bit daunting – but it doesn’t have to be! By asking a few thought-provoking questions, you can get the conversation going and learn all sorts of interesting facts about the person behind your favorite book.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?