It can be easy to get wrapped up in our daily lives and forget the larger political landscape. But given the current state of affairs, it’s more important than ever to stay informed and engaged with our government. The best way to do that is to hold our politicians accountable, and the best way to hold them accountable is to ask them questions. But what kind of questions?
Below is a list of thought-provoking questions you can use the next time you have the opportunity to talk to your politician. Keep in mind that these are only suggestions. The most important thing is that you engage in meaningful dialog and ask questions that matter to you
64 Thought-Provoking questions to ask your politician:
- What is your biggest accomplishment as a politician?
- What do you think is the biggest challenge facing our country today?
- What do you think sets you apart from the other candidates at your party?
- What would you say is your greatest weakness?
- What do you think about the role of money in politics?
- Do you have a personal connection to the issues you advocate for?
- How would you go about solving the [insert pressing issue here]?
- What advice would you give to other young people who want to get involved in politics?
- What are your thoughts on [insert controversial issue here]?
- How has the time you spent in [office/ campaign/ etc.] shaped your views on politics?
- How do you handle adversity and criticism?
- Who are some of your political role models and why?
- What policies do you disagree with within your own party?
- If elected, what’s your top priority while in office?
- What do you plan to do / What have you done to address [problem in your district/state]?
- What do you think about campaign finance reform?
- Who are your biggest donors and what industries do they come from?
- How does that align with your campaign platform/beliefs?
- What do you think about electoral districting and what would you do to change it?
- There’s been a lot of talks lately about impeachment. Where do you stand on this issue?
- Do you think climate change is real? If so, what actions should we take to mitigate its effects?
- Universal health care is a hot topic right now. Do you think it’s something that should be pursued? Why or why not?
- Do you think health care should be a right or a privilege?
- Given the current state of relations with [other countries], how do you plan to approach diplomacy in the future?
- The economy is always a major concern. What steps should we take to ensure long-term growth and stability?
- Small businesses are the backbone of the American economy. What steps would you take to help them succeed?
- A well-educated workforce is critical to sustained economic growth. How would/could you improve education in your district/state?
- How do you feel about gun control?
- Gun violence is a major problem in America. What solutions do you propose to make our country safer?
- Are there specific regulations or laws you would like to see put in place?
- How do you feel about taxation?
- Are you in favor of raising taxes, lowering taxes, or keeping current tax levels? Why?
- What’s your opinion on immigration and illegal immigration?
- Do you think immigrants contribute positively to society? And what, if anything, should be done about those who enter the country illegally?
- What do you think about education reform?
- Are there specific changes you would like to see in curriculum, funding, or teacher training and development?
- What do you think about infrastructure spending?
- What areas do you think should get the most investment (e.g., roads, bridges, public transportation)?
- What do you think about welfare and food assistance programs such as SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program)?
- Do you think they are necessary and/or effective?
- What’s your opinion of environmental regulations such as the Clean Air Act and the Clean Water Act? Do you think they’re too strict, not strict enough, or just right?
- Who do you think are your biggest political influences/inspirations (e.g., other politicians, writers, thinkers)? Why them in particular?
- How will you ensure that all voices within our community are heard and fairly represented (e.g., minorities, women, LGBTQIA+ individuals)?
- Have there been votes or decisions in your political career that you now regret or disagree with (e.g., legislation that passed or was defeated)? If so, why and what would you have done differently if given the chance?
- What’s your plan for balancing the budget?
- What are your thoughts on government spending?
- What plans do you have to reduce the national debt?
- Do you support entitlement reform?
- Do you support the right of women to decide for themselves whether or not to have an abortion? If not, why not?
- What’s your opinion on abortion?
- Do you support the death penalty?
- Are you in favor of same-sex marriage?
- Do you support affirmative action?
- Do you support environmental regulations?
- Do you support labor unions?
- Do you support free trade agreements?
- Are you in favor of raising the minimum wage?
- Do you have any plans to reduce poverty?
- What’s your opinion on welfare reform?
- What are your plans to reduce crime?
- What are your plans to improve education?
- What are you doing to make sure all Americans have access to affordable housing? (for the U.S)
- Are you in favor of equal pay for equal work? If not, why not?
- Do you plan to run for higher office in the future? If so, why now and not later?
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the roles of politicians?
Politicians play a vital role in our society by representing the interests of their constituents and working to solve the problems that affect their communities.
They are responsible for making decisions about laws and public policies and advocating with their constituents to address important issues such as economic development, access to health care, and education reform. To be successful in these roles, politicians must be skilled communicators who have a deep understanding of current events, political trends, and the needs of their constituents.
Ultimately, they are responsible for ensuring that the voices of the people they represent are heard at all levels of government.
What is the most important quality of a good politician?
A good politician is someone who has a strong sense of integrity and honesty. These qualities are important in gaining the trust and support of their constituents because they enable them to effectively represent the needs and interests of those who place their trust in them.
In addition, a good politician is always willing to listen to others, take their feedback into account when making decisions, and be open and transparent about their intentions.
These qualities help a politician build lasting relationships with their constituents and make effective decisions on behalf of the public.
What is political power?
Political power is the ability to influence, control, or determine a government’s or other organization’s actions. This power can come from a variety of sources, such as wealth, popularity, military power, or legal authority.
In general, those who hold political power can shape the laws and policies of their society and influence important decisions that affect large groups of people. Whether this power is used for good or ill depends on the intentions and motivations of those who wield it. Regardless of how it’s used, however, political power has a profound impact on all aspects of society and culture.
There are many things to consider when it comes to who you vote for in an election, but it’s important to remember that it’s also important to ask tough questions. This is how we can ensure that our politicians are held accountable and that we make informed decisions on Election Day!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?