If you’re thinking about changing careers or are simply curious about what it’s like to work in a certain field, job shadowing can be a great way to get some insight. Job shadowing is where you observe someone in their professional environment, usually for a day or less
During job shadowing, you’ll have the opportunity to ask questions and get first-hand experience with what the job entails. Not sure what to ask? We’ve got you covered. Here are questions to ask when job shadowing.
55 Questions you can ask when job shadowing:
- What does a typical day look like for you?
- What are the most challenging aspects of your job?
- What are the most rewarding aspects of your job?
- What does your company do?
- How did you get interested in this field?
- How did you get your current position?
- What education or training is required for this profession?
- What are the key skills necessary for success in this field?
- Are there opportunities for advancement in this field?
- What is the job market like for this profession?
- Are there certain times of year that are busier than others?
- What are some of the common challenges your clients or customers face?
- How do you help them solve those challenges?
- Is there anything that surprised you about this profession when you started working in it?
- Do you have any funny or memorable stories from your time in this profession?
- Are there any dangers or risks associated with this line of work? If so, how do you deal with them?
- What are some of the technologies or tools that you use in your work?
- Who are some of the people you collaborate with on a daily basis (e.g., other departments, and clients)?
- What projects are you working on right now?
- What challenges do you face in this role?
- What is the company’s culture like?
- Do you have any advice for someone interested in this job?
- How do you stay up-to-date in your field?
- Can you describe a time when you went above and beyond your job duties?
- What projects are you working on right now?
- How do you handle work/life balance?
- Do you ever work remotely or from home?
- Do you have any goals or projects that you’re working on outside of your usual job duties?
- Do you have any tips or tricks for dealing with stress at work?
- Do you know of any other resources (books, websites, etc.) that I could use to learn more about this field/job?
- Is there anything else I should know about shadowing/this profession/this company that I haven’t asked about yet?
- What are the job shadowing requirements?
- How long will the job shadowing experience last?
- What is the dress code for job shadowing?
- What is the best way to prepare for job shadowing?
- What are the expectations of job shadowing?
- What are some things that I should do during job shadowing?
- What are some things that I should not do during job shadowing?
- How can I make the most of my job shadowing experience?
- Who can I talk to if I have questions about job shadowing?
- Is there someone I can talk to if I’m feeling uncomfortable during job shadowing?
- What should I do if I witness something unethical during job shadowing?
- What are some red flags that I should be aware of during job shadowing?
- How can I evaluate whether or not a company is a good fit for me after job shadowing?
- Should I keep in touch with my contact after job shadowing?
- Is there anything else I should know about job shadowing?
- What are the job responsibilities of the person you’ll be shadowing?
- What hours does this person typically work?
- How does this person like working in this profession?
- What is the career path for this profession?
- How has technology changed this profession?
- What are the ethical considerations of this profession?
- What personality traits are necessary for success in this field?
- How has the economy affected this profession?
- What are some of the current trends in this profession?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is meant by job shadowing?
Job shadowing is a process in which a person accompanies someone at work to learn more about their job. It can be a good way to learn more about different careers or to gain experience in a certain field. It can also help you decide if a certain career is right for you.
What should you do during a job shadow?
When job shadowing, it is important to be observant and ask questions. You should take note of how the person you are shadowing interacts with their colleagues and clients. You should also pay attention to what tasks the person has and how they go about completing them. This is a great opportunity to learn about different careers and gain experience in the workforce.
Can you ask to shadow before accepting a job?
Some companies offer applicants the opportunity to shadow a current employee for a day before accepting a job offer. This is a good opportunity to see if the job and the company are a good fit for you. It also gives you a chance to learn more about the company and the job before making a decision. If you’re interested in job shadowing, you should ask the employer if that’s an option.
Job shadowing is a great way to learn about a particular job or company, and it can give you great insight into whether the job is a good fit for you. If you’re considering job shadowing, be sure to ask your host lots of questions! And if you’re not sure where to start, you can use this list of questions as a guide.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?