Starting a new job can be both exciting and intimidating. On your first day, you will likely have many questions about your new role, the company, and your colleagues. Asking your new boss is a great way to get answers and learn more about your new job.
In this article, we have compiled a list of questions to ask your new boss on your first day to help you understand your duties and responsibilities, learn more about the company and its culture, and get to know your new boss and his or her management style.
80 Questions to ask your new boss on your first day:
About Duties and Responsibilities
- Can you give me a brief overview of my role and responsibilities in this position?
- What are my key priorities for my role in the next few months?
- Are there any specific projects or tasks you would like me to focus on?
- How will my performance be measured and reviewed?
- How does my role fit into the broader team and organization?
- Can you provide any specific goals or objectives that you would like me to focus on in my first few weeks or months on the job?
- What is the best way for me to provide updates and progress reports to you?
- How often should I provide updates and progress reports?
- Will I be provided with a computer, phone, and other necessary equipment, or will I need to use my own?
- How often will I be required to travel for work?
About the Company and Its Culture
- What are the company’s core values?
- What are the company’s mission and vision?
- What is the company’s organizational structure?
- How does my role fit in the organizational structure?
- Can you describe the company’s culture?
- How can I align my behavior and approach to fit in and thrive in this environment?
- Can you provide an overview of the company’s customers or clients?
- What are the essential needs or expectations of the customers or clients?
- What is the company’s approach to collaboration and teamwork?
- What is the company’s approach to communication?
- What are the critical expectations for collaboration and communication within the company?
- What is the company’s approach to professional development and training?
- What is the company’s approach to diversity, equity, and inclusion?
- What are the company’s financial performance and future growth plans?
- What are the key challenges facing the company, and how can I help to overcome them?
- What are the company’s biggest growth and development opportunities, and how can I take advantage of them?
- Can you provide an overview of the company’s approach to sustainability and corporate social responsibility?
- What is the company’s approach to work-life balance, and how can I ensure that I can maintain a healthy and fulfilling personal life while meeting my professional obligations?
About Your New Boss and Their Management Style
- Can you tell me more about your management style?
- How do you like to lead the team?
- What are your expectations for my performance in this role, and how can I meet those expectations?
- How will you support my professional development and growth in this role?
- How do you prefer to receive updates and progress reports?
- Are you available to provide guidance and support, and how can I make the most of those opportunities?
- How do you like to provide feedback and conduct performance evaluations?
- Do you have any advice or tips on how to succeed in this role and within the company?
- Can you tell me more about your leadership philosophy and approach to guiding and motivating the team?
About the Team and Your Colleagues
- Can you provide an overview of what the team is like?
- Who are the key members of the team, and what are their roles and responsibilities?
- How does the team typically work together and collaborate on projects?
- Are there any specific team norms or expectations I should be aware of?
- How can I get to know my colleagues better and build strong working relationships with them?
- What is the team’s primary focus?
- Who are the members of the team?
- What are each member’s strengths and weaknesses?
- How does the team work together?
- What is the team’s communication style?
- What is the team’s decision-making process?
- How does the team handle conflict?
- What are the team’s norms and values?
- How can I best support the team?
- Who should I go to with questions or concerns?
- How can I best contribute to the team’s success?
- What are some challenges the team is currently facing?
- What can I do to help the team overcome these challenges?
- Is there anything else I should know about the team or its members?
About the Work Environment and Tools
- Can you tell me more about the work environment?
- What can I expect on a typical day?
- What tools and resources will I have access to do my job effectively?
- Are there any specific policies or procedures I should be aware of, such as requesting time off or submitting expenses?
- Are there any training programs or onboarding activities that I should participate in during my first few weeks?
- What is the company’s approach to innovation and problem-solving?
- What opportunities are there for me to contribute new ideas or approaches?
- How can I contribute to a positive and productive work environment?
- What are the expectations for punctuality and attendance?
- What are the expectations for completing work tasks?
- How often will I be required to interact with customers or clients?
- Are there any specific technologies or tools that I will be expected to use in my daily work?
- Are there any internal processes or systems that I should be aware of, such as performance reviews or team meetings?
- Are there any industry trends or developments that I should be aware of?
About Development and Goals
- What are your expectations for my performance in this role?
- How can I learn and grow in this position, and what opportunities are available for professional development?
- Can you tell me more about the potential for career advancement within the company?
- What are your goals for the team, and how can I contribute to achieving those goals?
- Can we discuss my own goals and aspirations and how they align with the company’s goals?
- What are the key priorities and initiatives for the company in the coming months?
- How can I support the success of the company’s plan key priorities and initiatives in the coming months?
- Can you provide an overview of the team or department’s goals and objectives?
- How will my performance be measured, and what metrics or benchmarks should I aim to achieve?
- What support systems and resources are available to help me succeed in this role, such as training or mentoring?
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I impress my boss on the first day?
There are a few ways you can impress your boss on the first day:
Show up on time and prepared: Make sure you know where you’re going and when you’re supposed to start. If possible, arrive a few minutes early to give yourself time to settle in.
Dress appropriately: Research the company’s dress code and make sure you’ve dressed appropriately for the job. It’s always better to err on the side of dressing more formally than less.
Be polite and professional: Introduce yourself to your boss and colleagues, and make a good impression with your manners and professionalism.
Take the initiative and ask questions: Show that you’re eager to learn and willing to take on new tasks by asking thoughtful questions and expressing interest in the work.
Follow through on your commitments: If you promise to do something, make sure you do it. This will show your boss that you can be relied on and take your work seriously.
What should you not say to a new boss?
There are a few things you should avoid saying to a new boss, especially on the first day. These include negative comments about the previous boss or the company, complaints about your job or workload, and negative comments about other employees or colleagues.
It’s also important to avoid discussing sensitive or confidential information and making inappropriate or offensive jokes. Instead, focus on being polite and professional and building a positive relationship with your new boss.
How do I bond with my new boss?
To bond with your new boss, take the time to get to know them and their management style. Ask them about their background, interests, and goals for the team. You can also find common ground by sharing stories or experiences and showing genuine interest in what they say.
Building a rapport with your boss also shows them that you respect their authority and are willing to work hard and collaborate with them. By connecting with your boss, you can strengthen your working relationship and set the stage for a successful working relationship.
In summary, asking your new boss thoughtful and well-informed questions on your first day will help you get off to a good start in your new job. By doing so, you will show that you are engaged and interested in your work, and you can gain valuable information and insight that will help you succeed in your role.
Using the questions in this article, you can learn more about the specifics of your new job. This will help you feel more confident and prepared for your new role and positively contribute to the team and the organization.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?