At some point in our lives, we’ve all asked ourselves whether we’re on the right career path. It’s a natural question, especially when we don’t feel fulfilled by our work. But how can you really know if you’re on the right track?
There’s no universal answer, but there are some questions you can ask yourself to get clarity about your career situation. These questions will help you assess where you are in your career and if you’re headed in the right direction.
76 Questions you can ask yourself about your career:
- What are my core values?
- What makes me happy?
- What does success mean to me?
- What are my strengths?
- What are my weaknesses?
- What are my skills?
- How much money do I want to make?
- How many hours am I willing to work?
- What is my ideal work/life balance?
- Do I want to own a business?
- Do I want to work for a specific company?
- Do I want to work in a specific industry?
- Do I want to live in a specific city or country?
- What is my educational background?
- Do I have any relevant work experience?
- Am I willing to relocate for a job?
- Am I willing to travel for work?
- What is my visa status?
- Do I have any health conditions that could impact my ability to work?
- Do I have any personal commitments that could impact my ability to work (e.g., caring for elderly parents, or raising young children?
- What are you good at?
- What do you enjoy doing?
- What are your passions?
- What motivates you?
- Are you looking for a job that provides a creative outlet, or do you prefer a more structured environment?
- Do you prefer working independently or as part of a team?
- Do you prefer working with others or do you prefer working alone?
- What kind of company culture are you looking for?
- Do you want to be able to advance in your career, or are you content with staying in the same position for a long time?
- Do you want a job that allows you to use your existing skills, or do you want to learn new skills?
- which industries interest you the most?
- Which companies do you admire?
- Which companies align with your values?
- How much money do you need to earn?
- How much travel is required for the jobs you’re interested in?
- Are there any locations that you would (or wouldn’t) be willing to relocate to for a job?
- How many hours per week are you hoping to work?
- Are there any other benefits that are important to you (e.g., flexible scheduling, free food, gym membership)?
- Are there any other factors that are important to you (e.g., company size, working remotely)?
- What are my long-term career goals?
- What are my short-term career goals?
- How can I best use my skills and strengths in my current role?
- What are my development needs?
- What training or experience do I need to develop further in my career?
- Am I challenged and engaged in my current role?
- If not, what can I do to increase my challenge and engagement?
- Do I enjoy coming to work every day?
- If not, why not? And what can I do about it?
- Do I have a good working relationship with my direct supervisor?
- If not, what can I do to improve that relationship?
- Do I feel like I have a good work/life balance?
- If not, what changes do I need to make to achieve a better balance?
- Do I feel like I am paid fairly for the work that I do?
- If not, how can I remedy that situation?
- Does my company offer good benefits and perks?
- If not, is there another company that does offer better benefits and perks?
- Would I recommend my company as a great place to work?
- If not, why not?
- Is there anything that could be done to change that recommendation?
- What makes you happy?
- What makes you feel fulfilled?
- What do you love doing?
- What are you good at?
- What do you need to work on?
- How much free time do you want?
- What kind of lifestyle do you want?
- Do you want to be your own boss or work for someone else?
- Do you want to work in an office or from home?
- Do you want to travel for work or stay close to home?
- Do need a degree or certification for the job you want?
- How much experience do you need for the job you want?
- Are there any other skills or knowledge you need for the job you want?
- Who do you know that can help you get the job you want?
- How can create a side hustle to make some extra income while transitioning into the job your desire full-time?
- Can show commitment by taking an online class, volunteering, or reading books related to the field?
- Have set a date for when will start seeking this new career?
Frequently Asked Questions
What affects your career choice?
Your career choice is influenced by a number of factors, including your skills, interests, and goals. In addition, your career choice may be influenced by your family and social environment and by the job market. Ultimately, you must choose a career that suits you and that you are passionate about.
How do you know what career is right for you?
The best way to figure out what career is right for you is to take an assessment. There are many different assessments, but they all have the same goal: to help you identify your strengths, interests, and values. Once you know what you’re good at and what you enjoy, you can start exploring careers that fit those criteria. Talk to people in different careers, read about them, and find out if they sound like something you would be interested in. The most important thing is to stay true to yourself and find a career that makes you happy.
Whether you’re at the beginning of your career or have been working for years, it’s always helpful to reflect on where you are and where you want to be.
Asking yourself questions like these will help you stay on track with your goals and ensure that you’re happy and fulfilled in your work life!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?