Shopping can be a lot of fun. Whether you’re grocery shopping or browsing online retailers, it’s easy to get caught up in the moment and buy something without really thinking about it. But if you want to be a smart shopper, it’s important to take a step back and ask yourself a few questions before making a purchase.
36 Questions you should ask yourself before you buy something:
- Do I need it?
- Will I use it?
- How often will I use it?
- Is this the best quality I can afford?
- Does it fit in my budget?
- Can I wait to buy it?
- Is there anything else I need?
- Have I done my research on this purchase?
- What do the reviews say about this product?
- Is it a want or a need?
- What will happen if I don’t buy it now?
- How will I feel about this purchase tomorrow?
- Do I have the money to pay for the purchase right now or do I need to finance it?
- What’s the long-term cost of owning and maintaining this item?
- Is there anything else I should know before I decide?
- How long will the item last?
- Will it go out of style?
- Can I get it cheaper somewhere else?
- What does the warranty cover?
- What are the return policies and procedures?
- Am I buying from a reputable source?
- What am I giving up by making this purchase?
- What impact will it have on my health?
- Will this clutter my home/office/life?
- Is there an emotional reason why I want to buy it?
- Will this go on sale soon?
- Am I buying it for the right reasons?
- Have I checked for coupon codes?
- What’s the opportunity cost of buying this item? (In other words, what else could I spend the money on)?
- Have I consulted with others who might have an opinion about this purchase?
- What will happen if I wait to buy this?
- What maintenance will be required? (Can I handle it?)
- Will it still be modern next season? Next year?
- Is this something that I could borrow instead of buying it outright?
- Will I still love/use it 6 months year from now?
- What are the risks associated with this purchase?
Frequently Asked Questions
Why should we think before buying?
The reason why we should think before buying is because if we don’t, we may end up regretting our purchase. We may not be able to return the item or get our money back. Therefore, we must weigh all the options before we spend our hard-earned money.
How long should you wait before you buy something?
There’s no set time frame for how long you should wait before you buy something. However, most experts recommend waiting at least 24 hours before making a purchase.
This gives you time to reflect on your decision and make sure you’re buying the item for the right reasons. Plus, waiting can save you money by preventing you from making impulse purchases.
Purchasing anything, whether it’s a piece of jewelry for two dollars or a car for $200,000, is a decision that shouldn’t be taken lightly. By asking yourself these questions, you can be sure you’re making the best decision for your wallet, your lifestyle, and your future self. Impulse purchases may give you a brief thrill, but in the end, you’ll be disappointed and regret it – and probably go into debt.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?